World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Treia

Article Id: WHEBN0001086668
Reproduction Date:

Title: Treia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pollenza, Appignano, Hilltowns in the Marche, Jimmy Fontana, Ponte di Pioraco
Collection: Hilltowns in the Marche
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Treia


Treia is a town and comune in the province of Macerata in the central Marche (Italy). It is 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) north of Pollenza, 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) west of Macerata, and 18 kilometres (11 mi) north-northeast of Tolentino.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • Remains 2
  • History 3
  • Recent Research 4
  • Results 5
  • Main sights 6
  • References 7
  • External links 8

Geography

The site of the abandoned Roman municipium of Trea is situated in the middle valley of the River Potenza, some 30 km from the Adriatic shore. The town was located on a dominant plateau, 1 km north-west of present day Treia, and just 3 km east of Monte Pitino, in an agrarian area around the church and convent of SS. Crocifisso.

Remains

The only remaining visible ruins are two small sections of the former city walls, partly incorporated in a now abandoned farm house. Since the 16th century many isolated finds as well as epigraphic monuments concerning Trea have been discovered in the general area. The first major excavations by Fortunato Benigni in the late 18th century determined the town’s approximate location and revealed parts of its walls, a basilica and a sanctuary with possible thermal building, located under the convent of SS. Crocifisso.

History

Treia is said to have been founded by the Sabine people in 380 BCE. Although the precise origin of the site remains unknown, its location on an elevated plateau near the Picene hilltop site of Monte Pitino could indicate that it was already a pre-Roman center. It became a Roman municipium shortly after 49 BC and it is possible that its circuit wall was erected around that time.

The Roman town flourished between the reigns of Augustus and Antoninus Pius, as indicated by the large collection of funerary monuments, statuary and epigraphic evidence.

Large Egyptian religious statues of the Roman period have been found and are kept in the town's museum: they are unique in the Marche.

The later phases of Trea are less well documented and the last epigraphic evidence dates from the 4th century AD. However, according to some archaeological finds from early excavations and surveys, later habitation in Trea, at least until the 7th century AD, can be assumed.

It is imaginable that during the Early Middle Ages the remaining habitation was restructured in connection with a modest early Christian sanctuary for the plebs, here to be located at the site of SS. Crocifisso. Although this sanctuary is only found in documents from the mid-12th century onwards, many early medieval spolia used in the later church of SS. Crocifisso indicate the presence of a much earlier phase. Around AD 1000 the population probably moved towards the more easily defensible hill-site of Montecchio (later called Treia) and the original town site remained practically deserted.

The town sided with the Pope in the temporal struggles of central Italy, and was besieged several times, and in particular in 1239 by Enzio, son and vicar of Frederick II and again in 1263 by Conrad of Antioch, who was captured at the nearby battle of Vallesacco, and held for several months in town in a small prison (now in use as a caffé).

Montecchio eventually became part of the Papal States, and in 1790 Pope Pius VI rewarded it for its faithfulness by raising it to the official rank of "city", at the same time renaming it by its Roman name of Treia.

Treia's most famous native was the archaeologist and art critic Luigi Lanzi.

Recent Research

From 2000 onwards the Potenza Valley Survey Project, a project of Ghent University directed by prof. Frank Vermeulen, attempts to map all buried structures of the ancient town. The survey methodology involves a series of aerial photography operations, large-scale geophysical prospections and intensive artefact surveys and studies. Due to all this new information it is now possible to map most parts of the town’s infrastructure in detail.

Results

Trea was situated along an important byroad of the decumanus maximus. Centrally the main road is interrupted by the monumental forum complex. The open rectangular square, is bordered by porticoes, tabernae and a series of public buildings. Centrally on the eastern side stood a rectangular building identified as the main podium temple. On and near the short west side of the forum stood a basilica, and possibly a curia. The planned forum was probably constructed in late Republican and early Imperial times. The remnants of another temple, discovered under the bell tower of the sanctuary of SS. Crocifisso and partly excavated by the University of Macerata in the 1980s, can be considered as an Egyptian sanctuary for Isis and Serapis. The discovery of a marble head of Serapis and a number of smaller Egyptian statuettes, as well as the second century AD inscription (CIL IX 5652) that mentions the temple of the “Domina” ( the goddess Isis), can lead to the interpretation that this foreign cult was practiced here.

Main sights

  • the medieval brick Duomo (Treia Cathedral)
  • the 17th‑century Town Hall (Palazzo Municipale) includes a collection of Renaissance and classical paintings that may be visited on request
  • Santuario del SS. Crocefisso, a large early 20th‑century church complex
  • A museum of the town's history, inaugurated in 2004.
  • Georgic Academy
  • Archaeological Museum
  • Municipal Theatre
  • Villa Spada or Villa "La Quiete": work of the neoclassical architect Giuseppe Valadier (ruinous)

References

  • Marengo, S. (2000), Regio V Picenum – Trea. Supplementa Italica, Nuova Serie 18, Roma, Casa Foscari, pp. 155–188.
  • Paci, G. (1999), Indagini recenti e nuove conoscenze sulle città romane del territorio marchigiano. Annali della Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia, Università di macerate, pp. 201–244.
  • Percossi Serenelli, E., Pignocchi, G. and Vermeulen, F. (eds.) (2006), I siti archeologici della Vallata del Potenza. Conoscenze e tutela, Ancona, Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali. Direzione Regionale per i Beni Culturali e Paesaggistici delle Marche.
  • Vermeulen, F., Slapšak, B., Mlekuž, D. (2012), Surveying the Townscape of Roman Trea (Picenum). In: Johnson, P.S., Millett, M. (eds.), Archaeological Survey and the City, University of Cambridge Museum of Classical Archaeology Monographs, Cambridge, pp. 261–282.

External links

  • Official Site of Treia
  • Istituto Paladini
  • Bill Thayer's site
  • General Department of the Marches
  • Ghent University - Potenza Valley Survey Project

(Text originally based on Bill Thayer's webpage, by permission.)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.