World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St Thomas More Catholic Primary School

Article Id: WHEBN0008223455
Reproduction Date:

Title: St Thomas More Catholic Primary School  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Firth Park (ward), Sheila Sherwood, List of schools in Sheffield
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St Thomas More Catholic Primary School

Coordinates: 53°26′28″N 1°30′07″W / 53.441°N 1.502°W / 53.441; -1.502

Grenoside
Sheffield
Population 4,177 
Civil parish Ecclesfield
Metropolitan borough City of Sheffield
Metropolitan county South Yorkshire
Region Yorkshire and the Humber
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town SHEFFIELD
Postcode district S35
Dialling code 0114
Police South Yorkshire
Fire South Yorkshire
Ambulance Yorkshire
EU Parliament Yorkshire and the Humber
UK Parliament Sheffield Hillsborough
List of places
UK
England
Yorkshire

Grenoside is a suburb of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.

History

The name Grenoside is derived from the language of the Anglo-Saxons. The name Grenoside, which was first recorded in the thirteenth century as Gravenhou, is made up of the different elements. Gren from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) graefan meaning a quarry. ‘o’ from the Old Norse haugr meaning hill and the modern word side, altogether meaning a quarried hillside.[1]

In Norman and later documents it is named as Gravenho (1199) and Gravenhowe (1332). This name is made from the Saxon word elements of Grave meaning "to dig" and How meaning Hollow. In this sense the meaning of Gravenhowe would be "Quarried Hollows" or "Quarried Hills" and indicates that stone has been quarried in Grenoside from the ninth century up to 1938 when the last quarry on Norfolk Hill closed. Other spellings of the name are Granenhou (1267), Granow (1450), Graynau (1534), Grenoside (1759), Greenaside (1772) and Grinaside (1831).

Stone quarrying was a major industry in Grenoside from a very early date until it ceased in 1939. The stone quarried in Grenoside varied in quality and was put to several uses. The finer grained, hard stones were much in demand as grindstones for the cutlery trade and for fine fettling and finishing in iron foundries. Coarse grained stone was used for furnace lining and from these were hewn the stone boxes used in the Cementation process of steelmaking. In 1860 the following are named as quarry owners in Grenoside - Thomas Beever, George Broadhead, George Firth, Thomas Lint, Joseph Swift and Charles Uttley.

By the beginning of the seventeenth century several village people were named in connexion with the making of cutlery. William Smith, a yeoman of Grenoside, who died "of great age" in 1627 had taken out a cutlers mark in 1614. His son, Henry, was a member of the Cutler's Company in 1629. The manufacture of cutlery was restricted to those who had served an apprenticeship in the trade; an apprentice served seven or ten years without pay. The restriction was closely controlled by the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire from 1624. As a result many small nailmaking businesses were set up which was not so tightly controlled. As late as 1860, three nailmakers are listed as living and working in Grenoside.

The Grenoside Sword Dance forms an important mid-winter ritual for the village and can be traced back to the 1750s[2] It is traditionally performed on Boxing Day morning in Main Street.

Grenoside contains places of worship, with three churches within the village, and one just outside. The Primary School, originslly on the north side of Norfolk Hill, recently relocated to a new building to the south of the road. The former junior building is semi-derelict. Grenoside's new crematorium, built in 1999 on Skew Hill Lane, was formerly a munitions scrap yard.

There is an Anglican church situated on Main Street, St Mark's Church, Grenoside,a Methodist church on Norfolk Hill and St Thomas More Catholic Primary School, on Creswick Lane.

Notable people

References

External links

  • The Grenoside & District Local History Group
  • YouTube Grenoside Sword Dancers 2006
  • Sources for the history of Grenoside Produced by Sheffield City Council's Libraries and Archives
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.