World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum

Article Id: WHEBN0023444259
Reproduction Date:

Title: Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum

Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum
The Coliseum
Location Evansville, Indiana
Owner Vanderburgh County
Operator Vanderburgh County Veterans Council
Capacity 2,400 (seated)
4,055 (with standing room)
Construction
Opened 1916
Construction cost $180,000 (1916)
Tenants
Dynamite Dolls (WFTDA) (2007- Present),
Destruction Dames (WFTDA) (2008- Present)

The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum (a.k.a. Veterans Memorial Coliseum, The Coliseum, Evansville Coliseum) is a multi-purpose auditorium and meeting space in downtown Evansville, Indiana.

History

1908 photo of the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Coliseum
Front and southwestern side
Location 350 Court St., Evansville, Indiana
Coordinates
Area less than one acre
Built 1916
Architect Shopbell,Clifford & Co.
Governing body Local
NRHP Reference #

79000052

[1]
Added to NRHP May 10, 1979

The Coliseum was erected as a tribute to the men of Vanderburgh County who fought in the American Civil War and Spanish-American War. After several old buildings were torn down, the cornerstone of the 66,000-square-foot facility was laid May 9, 1916. Construction concluded in March 1917 and the Coliseum was formally dedicated April 18, 1917 right around the time the United States was joining World War I. The original construction cost $180,000.

The neoclassical coliseum was designed by Shopbell & Company and provided the community with its first modern facility for conventions and other public gatherings. The ceremonial aspect of the building was heightened by placing the structure directly on an axis with Fourth Street. Rockport native George H. Honig created two heroic monuments that flank the entrance. The Spirit of 1865, on the left, represents victory for the Union. The Spirit of 1916, on the right, shows the reflective elderly veterans of the Civil War.

Once considered the premier location for events in Evansville, the Coliseum was seen as dated and small when Old Vanderburgh County Courthouse stepped in.

In 1919 a 4,000 pipe concert organ was installed as a memorial to Prof. Z. M. Tinker, for years supervisor of music in the local public schools. At the time of its installation it was among the largest municipal pipe organs in the world. As of 2013, the [2]

Modern Use

When the Old National Events Plaza was later constructed, the Colisum's use as an auditorium and convention space waned. In 1971 Vanderburgh County leased the building to the Vanderburgh County Veterans Council for a period of 99 years at the rate of $1 a year.

The Coliseum's Convention Hall still retains a seating capacity of 2,400 and a standing room capacity of 4,055. The Veterans Council leases out the venue for sporting events, exhibitions, stage plays, wedding receptions, musical productions, bingo, concerts, and philanthropic organizations. The Coliseum is also home to the Demolition City Roller Derby's two teams: the Dynamite Dolls and Destruction Dames. The Coliseum is also home to professional wrestling.

References

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  2. ^ Higgins, Jessie (25 April 2013). "UE professors hope to move, restore Coliseum's Tinker Memorial Pipe Organ". Indiana Economic Digest. Retrieved 18 March 2014. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.