World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Occupation of Smyrna

Article Id: WHEBN0004145230
Reproduction Date:

Title: Occupation of Smyrna  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Battle of Karboğazı, Dimitri Kitsikis, Ionian University of Smyrna, Occupation of Smyrna, Greco-Turkish War (1919–22)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Occupation of Smyrna

Zone of Smyrna
Ζώνη Σμύρνης
Dependency of Greece


Flag of Smyrna


Capital Smyrna
High Commissioner
 -  1919–1922 Aristidis Stergiadis
Historical era Greco-Turkish War (1919–1922)
 -  Established 15 May 1919
 -  Disestablished 9 September 1922
Today part of Turkey

The Occupation of Smyrna was the military control by Greek forces of the city of Smyrna (modern-day Izmir) and surrounding areas from 15 May 1919 until 9 September 1922. The Allied Powers authorized the occupation and creation of the Zone of Smyrna (Greek: Ζώνη Σμύρνης) during negotiations regarding the partition of the Ottoman Empire to protect the ethnic Greek population living in and around the city. The Greek landing on 15 May 1919 was celebrated by the local Greek population but quickly resulted in ethnic violence in the area. This violence resulted in decreased international support for the occupation and a rise of Turkish nationalism. The High Commissioner of Smyrna, Aristidis Stergiadis, took a firm stance against discrimination against the Turkish population by the administration; however, ethnic tensions and discrimination remained. Stergiadis also began work on projects involving resettlement of Greek refugees, the foundations for a University, and some public health projects. Smyrna was a major base of operations for Greek troops in Anatolia during the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922).

The Greek occupation of Smyrna ended on 9 September 1922 in the Liberation of Smyrna by Turkish troops under Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. After the Turkish advance on Smyrna, a mob hanged the Orthodox bishop Chrysostomos of Smyrna and a few days later the Great Fire of Smyrna burnt large parts of the city (including most of the Greek and Armenian areas). With the end of the occupation of Smyrna, major combat in Anatolia between Greek and Turkish forces largely ended, and on 24 July 1923, the parties signed the Treaty of Lausanne ending the war.


Allied troops marching during the Occupation of Constantinople
Partition of the Ottoman empire according to the Treaty of Sèvres

At the end of World War I (1914–1918), attention of the Allied Powers (Entente Powers) focused on the partition of the territory of the Ottoman Empire. As part of the Treaty of London (1915), by which Italy left the Triple Alliance (with Germany and Austria-Hungary) and joined France, Great Britain and Russia in the Triple Entente, Italy was promised the Dodecanese and, if the partition of the Ottoman Empire were to occur, land in Anatolia including Antalya and surrounding provinces presumably including Smyrna.[1] But in later 1915, as an inducement to enter the war, British Foreign Secretary Edward Grey in private discussion with Eleftherios Venizelos, the Greek Prime Minister at the time, promised large parts of the Anatolian coast to Greece, including Smyrna.[1] Venizelos resigned from his position shortly after this communication, but when he had formally returned to power in June 1917, Greece entered the war on the side of the Entente.[2]

On 30 October 1918, the [3] To further this aim, he brought in a set of experts, including Arnold J. Toynbee to discuss how the zone of Smyrna would operate and what its impacts would be on the population.[4] Following this discussion, in late February 1919, Venezilos appointed Aristidis Stergiadis, a close political ally, the High Commissioner of Smyrna (appointed over political riser Themistoklis Sofoulis).[4]

In April 1919, the Italians landed and took over Antalya and began showing signs of moving troops towards Smyrna.[3] During the negotiations at about the same time, the Italian delegation walked out when it became clear that Woodrow Wilson supported a Greek military occupation of Smyrna.[1] Although Smyrna would be occupied by Greek troops, authorized by the allies, the allies did not agree that Greece would take sovereignty over the territory until further negotiations settled this issue.[1] The Italian delegation acquiesced to this outcome and the Greek occupation was authorized.

Greek landing at Smyrna

Greek troops marching on Izmir's coastal street, May 1919.
Greek soldiers taking their posts, May 1919.

On 14 May 1919, the Greek mission in Smyrna read a statement announcing that Greek troops would be arriving the next day in the city. Smith reports that this news was "received with great emotion" by the Greek population of the city while thousands of Turkish residents gathered in the hill that night lighting fires and beating drums in protest.[4] The same night, thousands of Turkish prisoners were released from a prison with the complicity of the Ottoman and Italian commanders in charge of the prison.[4]

Greek occupation of Smyrna started on 15 May 1919 where a large crowd gathered waving the Greek kingdom flags on the docks where the Greek troops were expected to arrive. The Metropolitan of Smyrna, Chrysostomos of Smyrna blessed the first troops as they arrived.[4] An inexperienced colonel was in charge of the operation and neither the appointed High Commissioner nor high-ranking military individuals were there for the landing resulting in miscommunication and a breakdown of discipline.[4] Most significantly, this resulted in the 1/38 Evzone Regiment landing north of where they were to take up their post. As a result, they had to march south passing a large part of the Greek celebratory crowds and the Ottoman governor's konak and the barracks of Ottoman troops. Someone fired a shot (Smith indicates that no one knows who fired the shot) and chaos resulted with the Greek troops firing multiple shots into the Konak and the barracks.[4] The Ottoman troops surrendered and the Greek regiment begun marching them up the coast to a ship to serve as a temporary prison. A British citizen at the scene, claimed he witnessed the shooting deaths of 30 unarmed surrendered prisoners during this march by both Greeks in the crowd and Greek troops. British officers in the harbor reported seeing Greek troops bayoneting multiple Turkish prisoners during the march and then saw them thrown into the sea.[4] In the chaos throughout the day, looting of Turkish houses began and by the end of the day 300 to 400 Turkish citizens had been killed, 100 Greeks were killed, including 2 troops. Violence continued the next day and for the next months as Greek troops took over towns and villages in the region and atrocities were committed by both ethnic groups, notably the Battle of Aydin on 27 June 1919.[4]

Reactions to the landing

Turks demonstrate in Constantinople for national unity.

The landing and reports of the violence had a large impact on many parties. The landing helped bring together the various groups of Turkish resistance into an organized movement (further assisted by the landing of Karakol society and Türk Ocağı.[6][7] In Great Britain and France, the reports of violence increased opposition in the governments to a permanent Greek control over the area.[8]

As a response to the claims of violence, the French Prime Minister Clemenceau suggested an Interallied Commission of Inquiry to Smyrna: the commission was made up of Admiral Mark Lambert Bristol for the United States, General Bunoust for France, General Hare for England, General Dall'olio for Italy and, as a non-voting observers, Colonel Mazarakis for Greece. It began work in August 1919 and interviewed 175 witnesses and visited multiple sites of alleged atrocities. The decision reached was that when a Greek witness and Turkish witness disagreed, a European witness would be used to provide the conclusions for the report. This system was dismissed by Venizelos because he claimed that the Europeans living in Smyrna benefited from privileges given to them under the Ottoman rule and were thus opposed to Greek rule.[4] The report was released to negotiators in October and generally found Greeks responsible for the bloodshed related to the landing and the violence throughout the Smyrna zone after the landing. In addition, the conclusions questioned the fundamental justification for the Greek occupation and suggested Greek troops be replaced by an allied force. Eyre Crowe, a main British diplomat, dismissed the larger conclusion by saying the Commission had overstepped its mandate.[4] In the negotiations after the report, Clemenceau reminded Venizelos that the occupation of Smyrna was not permanent and merely a political solution. Venizelos responded angrily and the negotiators moved on.[4]

At about the same time, British Field Marshal Menderes River Valley. Milne warned in his report that Turkish guerrilla action would continue as long as the Greeks continued to occupy Smyrna and questioned the justification for Greek occupation. Most importantly, his report developed a border that would separate the Smyrna zone from the rest of Anatolia. The council of Great Britain, France, U.S. and Italy approved the Milne line beyond which Greek troops were not to cross, except to pursue attackers but not more than 3 km beyond the line.[4]

Administration of the Smyrna Zone (1919–1922)

The Greek leadership in October 1920: High Commissioner Aristidis Stergiadis, Lt. Gen. Leonidas Paraskevopoulos and his chief of staff, Maj. Gen. Theodoros Pangalos

High Commissioner

Aristidis Stergiadis was appointed the High Commissioner of Smyrna in February and arrived in the city four days after the 15 May landing. Stergiadis immediately went to work in setting up an administration, easing ethnic violence, and making way for permanent annexation of Smyrna. Stergiadis immediately punished the Greek soldiers responsible for violence on 15–16 May with court martial and created a commission to decide on payment for victims (made up of representatives from Great Britain, France, Italy and other allies).[4] Stergiadis took a strict stance against discrimination of the Turkish population and opposed church leaders and the local Greek population on a number of occasions. Historians disagree about whether this was a genuine stance against discrimination[9] or whether it was an attempt to present a positive vision of the occupation to the allies.[4]

This stance against discrimination of the Turkish population often pitted Stergiadis against the local Greek population, the church and the army. He reportedly would carry a stick through the town with which he would beat Greeks that were being abusive of Turkish citizens. At one point, Stergiadis interrupted and ended a sermon by the bishop Chrysostomos that he believed to be incendiary. Troops would disobey his orders to not abuse the Turkish population often putting him in conflict with the military. On 14 July 1919, the acting foreign secretary sent a long critical telegraph to Venizelos suggesting that Stergiadis be removed and writing that "His sick neuroticism has reached a climax."[4] Venizelos stuck with support of Stergiadis despite this opposition, while the latter oversaw a number of projects planning for a permanent Greek administration of Smyrna.[4]

Evzones in front of the headquarters of the High Commissioner.

Structure of the administration

The Greek consulate building became the center of government. Since Ottoman sovereignty was not replaced with the occupation, their administrative structure continued to exist but Steriadis simply replaced the high ranking positions with Greeks (except for the post for Muslim Affairs) while Turkish functionaries remained in low positions.[4] Urgent steps were required for the organization of a local administration as soon as the Greek army secured control of the region.[10] A significant obstacle during the first period of the Greek administration was the absence of a clear definition of the Greek mandate. In this context the coexistence of interallied authorities whose functions often overlapped with that of the Greek authorities resulted in a series of misunderstandings and friction between the two sides. This situation resulted after a decision by the Supreme Allied Council that all movements of the Greek army had to be approved by Field Marshal [11]

The administrative division of the Smyrna zone was organized into administrative units largely based on the former Ottoman system. Apart from the kaza of Smyrna and the adjacent area of Ayasoluk which were under the direct control of the Smyrna High Commission, the remaining zone was divided into one province (Greek: Νομαρχία Nomarchia): that of Manisa, as well as the following counties (Greek: Υποδιοικήσεις Ypodioikiseis): Ödemiş, Tire (Thira), Bayındır (Vaindirion), Nympheon, Krini, Karaburna, Sivrihisar, Vryula, Palea Phocaea, Menemen, Kasaba, Bergama and Ayvali.[12]

Repatriation of refugees

The repatriation of the Asia Minor Greeks who had sought refuge in the Greek Kingdom as a result of the deportations and persecutions by the Ottoman authorities, assumed top priority, already from May 1919. The Greek authorities wanted to avoid the return of the refugees without the necessary supervision and planning. For this purpose, a special department was created within the High Commission.[13]

A survey conducted by the refugees department indicated that more than 150 towns and villages along the coastal area (from Edremit to Söke) had been destroyed during World War I. Especially from the 45,000 households belonging to local Greeks, 18,000 were partially damaged, while 23,000 completely destroyed.[14]

In general the period of the Greek administration experienced a continuous movement of refugee populations aided by charitable institutions such as the Red Cross and the Greek “Patriotic Institution” (Greek: Πατριωτικό Ίδρυμα).[15] In total, 100,000 Greeks who had lost their land during World War I, many a result of Ottoman discrimination, were resettled under Steriadis, given generous credit, and access to farm tools.[4]

Arrival of Crown Prince George, 1921

Muslim affairs

Following the Treaty of Sevres, all sections of the Ottoman administration that dealt with issues pertaining to Muslim religion, education and family affairs were organized by the High Commission.[16] Under this context a special polytechnic school was established in Smyrna which soon operated with 210 Muslim students and with costs covered by the Greek administration.[17]

However, nationalist sentiments and suspicion continued to limit the impacts of Steriadis' administration. The resettlement of Greeks and harsh treatment by the army and local Greek population led many Turkish residents to leave creating in a refugee problem. Discrimination by low-level Greek administrators and military members further contributed to Turkish hostility in the Smyrna zone.[4]

Archaeological excavations

Archaeological missions in Asia Minor were of significant importance for the High Commission. Excavations were focused on ancient Greek settlements in the area, mainly found in the surroundings of the urban areas, as well as along the coastal zone.[18] The most important excavation were conducted during 1921-1922, where important findings were unearthed in the Ionian sites of Klazomenai, Ephesus and Nysa.[18] Apart from ancient Greek antiquities, Byzantine monument were also unearthed, such as the 6th century Basilica of St. John the Theologian in Ephesus. In general, the excavations undertaken by the Greek administration provided interesting material concerning the history of Ancient Greek and Byzantine Art.[18]


Another important project undertaken during the Greek administration was the institution and organization of the Ionian University of Smyrna. Originally conceived by the Greek Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos and entrusted to Professor German-Greek mathematician Constantin Carathéodory of Göttingen University, as head of the a new university.[4][19] In the summer of 1922, its facilities were completed at a cost of 110,000 Turkish liras. The latter included 70 lecture rooms, a large amphitheatre, a number of laboratories and separate smaller structures for the University personnel.[20] Its various schools and departments of the University were to start operating gradually.[21] Moreover, a microbiology laboratory, the local Pasteur institute and the department of health became the first fields of instruction at the new university.[4]

Developments in the Greco-Turkish War

Greek soldiers and civilians at the Smyrna clock tower, summer 1920.

In 1920, the Smyrna zone became a key base for the Greek summer offensive in the Greco-Turkish War. In early July 1920, the allies approved operations by the Greeks to take over Eastern Thrace and territory around Smyrna as part of ongoing hostilities with the Turkish Nationalist movement. On 22 July 1920, Greek military divisions crossed the Milne line around the Smyrna zone and began military operations in the rest of Anatolia.[1]

Greek soldiers retreating, 1922.

International negotiations between the allies and the Ottoman administration largely ignored the increasing conflict.[3] In early 1920, Lloyd George was able to convince the new French Prime Minister, League of Nations at that point.[3] These decisions (Greek administration but with limited Turkish sovereignty and a 5 year limit) were included in the text of the Treaty of Sevres agreed to on 10 August 1920. Because the treaty largely ignored the rise of nationalist forces and the ethnic tension in the Smyrna zone, Montgomery has described the Treaty of Sevres as "stillborn".[3] However, with the signing of the Treaty of Sevres, the Ottoman Vali Izzet Bey handed over authority over Smyrna to Steriadis.

In October 1920, Venizelos lost his position as Prime Minister of Greece. French and Italians used this opportunity to remove their support and financial obligations to the Smyrna occupation and this left the British as the only force supporting the Greek occupation.[1] Smyrna remained a key base of operations for the ongoing war through the rest of 1920 and 1921, particularly under General [1]

A significant loss at the Battle of Sakarya in September 1921 resulted in a retreat of Greek forces to the 1920 lines. The ensuing retreat resulted in massive civilian casualties and atrocities committed by Greek and Turkish troops. Jensen summarizes the violence writing that "The Turkish population was subjected to horrible atrocities by the retreating troops and accompanying civilian Christian mobs. The pursuing Turkish cavalry did not hesitate in kind on the Christian populace; the road from Uşak to Smyrna lay littered with corpses."[1]

Greek troops evacuated Smyrna on 9 September 1922 and a small allied force of British entered Smyrna to prevent looting and violence. The next day, Mustafa Kemal, leading a number of troops, entered the city and was greeted with enthusiastic Turkish crowds.[1]


Photo of the Great Fire of Smyrna (1922)

Violence against the Greek population occurred immediately after the takeover. Most notably, Chrysostomos, the Orthodox Bishop, was lynched by a mob of Turkish citizens. A few days afterward, a fire destroyed half the city and most of the Christian quarter. Culpability for the fire is blamed on all ethnic groups and clear blame remains elusive.[1]

The evacuation of Smyrna by Greek troops ended most of the large scale fighting in the Greco-Turkish war which was formally ended with an Armistice and a final treaty in 24 July 1923 with the Treaty of Lausanne. Much of the Greek population was included in the 1923 population exchange between Greece and Turkey resulting in migration to Greece and elsewhere.[4]


  1. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m Jensen, Peter Kincaid (1979). "The Greco-Turkish War, 1920–1922". International Journal of Middle East Studies. 4 10: 553–565.  
  2. ^ Finefrock, Michael M. (1980). "Ataturk, Lloyd George and the Megali Idea: Cause and Consequence of the Greek Plan to Seize Constantinople from the Allies, June–August 1922". The Journal of Modern History 53 (1): 1047–1066.  
  3. ^ a b c d e f Montgomery, A. E. (1972). "The Making of the Treaty of Sèvres of 10 August 1920". The Historical Journal 15 (04): 775.  
  4. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y Smith, Michael Llewellyn (1999). Ionian vision : Greece in Asia Minor, 1919–1922. (New edition, 2nd impression ed.). London: C. Hurst. p. 92.  
  5. ^ Myhill, John (2006). Language, religion and national identity in Europe and the Middle East : a historical study. Amsterdam [u.a.]: Benjamins. p. 243.  
  6. ^
  7. ^
  8. ^ Goldstein, Erik (1989). "Great Britain and Greater Greece 1917–1920". The Historical Journal 32 (2): 339–356.  
  9. ^ Clogg, Richard. A concise History of Greece, page 93 [1]. Cambridge University Press, 20 June 2002 – 308 pages.
  10. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 132
  11. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 138
  12. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 154
  13. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 162
  14. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 165
  15. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 171
  16. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 179
  17. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 180
  18. ^ a b c Solomonidis, 1984, p. 182
  19. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 184
  20. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 186
  21. ^ Solomonidis, 1984, p. 188


  • Solomonidis, Victoria (1984). "Greece in Asia Minor: The Greek Administration in the Vilayet of Aydin". University of London, King's College. Retrieved 5 June 2014. 

Further reading

  • Documents of the Inter-Allied Commission of Inquiry into the Greek Occupation of Smyrna and Adjoining Territories.
  • "Remembering Smyrna/Izmir: Shared History, Shared Trauma" by Leyla Neyzi
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.