World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mower General Hospital

Article Id: WHEBN0006145403
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mower General Hospital  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Civil War Museum of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the American Civil War, Independent Battery B, Pennsylvania Light Artillery, Philadelphia in the American Civil War, Battle of Carlisle
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Mower General Hospital

Mower Hospital, in an 1863 lithograph. Note passenger train in foreground.

The Mower U.S. Army General Hospital was one of the largest Federal military hospitals during the American Civil War. Located in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia, it operated from January 1863 through May 1865,[1] when it was closed with the cessation of the war.

The hospital complex was designed by architect John McArthur, Jr.. It was built in 1862.[1] It was named in honor of Thomas Mower, an early Army surgeon. The hospital was constructed on 27 acres (11 ha) between Willow Grove and Springfield Avenues, the Reading Railroad line and Stenton Avenue. The central compound was surrounded by a ring of 47 radiating wards and other buildings. Commanded by Dr. Andrew Hopkins, it had some 3,600 beds and treated over 20,000 patients, the majority being wounded and ill Union soldiers from the Army of the Potomac. The hospital featured many amenities for the patients and staff, including plumbing to provide hot water, special medical wards that could be isolated for patients with infections, centralized storage for supplies, flush toilets, band music, etc.

The wounded were brought directly from Southern battlefields by railroad—a journey known as going from the seven circles of hell to heaven.

Wyndmoor Station, Market Square Shopping Center, apartment buildings and townhouses now occupy the site.

See also

References

  1. ^ a b



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.