World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kronach (district)

Article Id: WHEBN0000338214
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kronach (district)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hof (district), Bavaria, Kronach (district), Deggendorf (district), Kelheim (district)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kronach (district)

Kronach is a district in Bavaria, Germany. It is bounded by (from the east and clockwise) the districts of Hof, Kulmbach, Lichtenfels and Coburg, and the state of Thuringia (districts of Sonneberg, Saalfeld-Rudolstadt and Saale-Orla).

History

Kronach was ruled by the bishopric of Bamberg from 1102 until 1803, when the clerical states of Germany were dissolved. Afterwards it fell to Bavaria, where the districts of Kronach and Teuschnitz were established on the territory of the present district. In 1931 these districts were merged in order to form the district of Kronach.

Geography

A large portion of the district is part of the Franconian Forest nature park. The Franconian Forest (German Frankenwald) is a hill chain rising to 795 metres (2,608 ft) To the southwest the country is sloping away. Several narrow rivers run southwards through the district in order to join the Main River beyond the district's borders, among them the Kronach River.

Coat of arms

Coat of arms The coat of arms displays:
  • the heraldic lion of Bamberg
  • the heraldic lion of Orlamünde (a Thuringian family owning Lauenstein castle in the very north of the district)
  • the wheel symbolising watermills in the rivers of the district

Towns and municipalities

Towns Municipalities
  1. Kronach
  2. Ludwigsstadt
  3. Teuschnitz
  4. Wallenfels
  1. Küps
  2. Marktrodach
  3. Mitwitz
  4. Nordhalben
  5. Pressig
  6. Reichenbach
  7. Schneckenlohe
  1. Steinbach am Wald
  2. Steinwiesen
  3. Stockheim
  4. Tettau
  5. Tschirn
  6. Weißenbrunn
  7. Wilhelmsthal

References

External links

  • Official website (German)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.