World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Horcon Tract

Article Id: WHEBN0002821313
Reproduction Date:

Title: Horcon Tract  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rio Rico, Tamaulipas, Boundary Treaty of 1970
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Horcon Tract

The Horcón Tract is a small tract of land (a banco) that, prior to 1905, was situated north of the Rio Grande in Texas, and included the town of Río Rico. In July 1906, however, the American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Company dug a cutoff to shorten the course of the river, thus bypassing the tract. As a result, the 461 acres of the tract (including the former riverbed), upon several acres of which the town of Río Rico was situated, became located south of the river. The company was eventually taken to court and fined for the diversion of the river, but attention gradually faded, and the residents, being mostly of Mexican heritage, accepted the authority of the Mexican government. However, international law dictates that, unlike slow natural changes of a boundary river's course, sudden changes in course do not create a loss or gain of national territory. The United States never actually relinquished the land, and the issue was re-discovered decades later by a researcher. The Boundary Treaty of 1970 provided for the Horcón Tract to revert to Mexico upon the completion of two new flood control projects. Thus in 1977 the United States officially ceded the tract of land to Mexico.[1] A U.S. Supreme Court ruling held that persons born in the Horcón Tract between 1906 and 1977 were in fact American citizens.

Coordinates: 26°03′22″N 97°53′24″W / 26.05611°N 97.89000°W / 26.05611; -97.89000

See also

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.