World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hillsborough Primary School

Article Id: WHEBN0036535320
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hillsborough Primary School  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of schools in Sheffield, Tapton Mount School, Frecheville Comprehensive, Yewlands Technology College, Abbeydale Grange School
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hillsborough Primary School

Hillsborough Primary School
Motto ‘Growing together, learning together’
Established 1884
Type Primary academy
Headteacher Mrs A. Lant
Chair Mrs J. Burkinshaw
Location Parkside Road
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S6 2AA
England
Gender Mixed
Ages 4–11
Website .uk.sch.sheffield.hillsboroughwww

Hillsborough Primary School is situated on Parkside Road in the suburb of Hillsborough in the City of Sheffield, England. The school caters for children between the ages of four and eleven. The building itself dates from 1884 and is a Grade II listed building.

History

Hillsborough School was constructed by the architects Wilson & Masters. At the time of construction, the Hillsborough area was a rural location outside the City of Sheffield and within the parish of Sheffield Council on 1 November 1901 when the boundaries of the city were extended, encompassing the Hillsborough area, at this time the school name was changed to Hillsborough Council School and there were over 600 pupils. In 1958 the school lost its senior section when the older pupils were transferred to the newly built Chaucer School and Hillsborough became solely a junior school. In October 1982 a nursery was opened on the site.[1]

Architecture

The school consists of one storey and is constructed in the Gothic Revival style from coursed squared stone with ashlars dressings and a slate roof, with diagonal nogging over the windows. The three symmetrical blocks which front onto Parkside Road are linked by corridors constructed in the mid 1900s. The closest of these blocks to the junction with Middlewood Road has on its roof a square wooden bell turret with swept pyramidal spire and finial. The stone boundary wall which runs round the perimeter of the school is also a listed structure.[2][3]

References

  1. ^ Sheffield Indexers. School Centennial Booklet gives history.
  2. ^ British Listed Buildings. Gives architectural details.
  3. ^ "Pevenser Architectural Guides - Sheffield", Ruth Harman & John Minnis, ISBN 0-300-10585-1 Gives architectural details.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.