World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hermsdorf (Silesia)

Article Id: WHEBN0005649590
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hermsdorf (Silesia)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hermann Schwarz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hermsdorf (Silesia)

Jerzmanowa
Village
Jerzmanowa
Jerzmanowa
Location of Jerzmanowa

Coordinates: 51°36′0″N 16°03′0″E / 51.60000°N 16.05000°E / 51.60000; 16.05000Coordinates: 51°36′0″N 16°03′0″E / 51.60000°N 16.05000°E / 51.60000; 16.05000

Country  Poland
Voivodeship Lower Silesian
Powiat Głogów
Gmina Jerzmanowa
Population 600

Jerzmanowa [jɛʐmaˈnɔva] (German: Hermsdorf) is a village in Głogów County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland. It is the seat of the administrative district (gmina) called Gmina Jerzmanowa. Before 1945, it was part of Germany (the Prussian Province of Silesia).

The village has an approximate population of 600. It lies approximately 7 km (4 mi) south of Głogów, and 87 km (54 mi) north-west of the regional capital Wrocław.

The municipality consists of 12 villages. (German names up until 1945)

  • Bądzów (Bansau)
  • Gaiki (Hainbach-Töppendorf)
  • Jaczów (Jätschau, 1937–1945: Friedenshagen)
  • Jerzmanowa (Hermsdorf)
  • Kurów Mały (Klein Kauer)
  • Kurowice (Gusteutschel, 1937–1945: Hahnenfeld)
  • Łagoszów Mały (Klein Logisch)
  • Maniów (Mahnau)
  • Modła (Modlau)
  • Potoczek (Töppendorf (Forst))
  • Smardzów (Schmarsau, 1936–1945: Vogtshagen)
  • Zofiówka

People

References

In his 1800 tour of Silesia, future President John Quincy Adams refers to the Silesian village of Hermsdorf in Letters on Silesia (letter VII, 1st August 1800). He notes that the village is at the foot of the Kynast, "one of the most celebrated Silesian hills." At the top of the Kynast, was the ruins of an old castle supposedly built in 1292 by the ancestor of Count Schafgotsch, and abandoned in 1670 due to a fire from a lighting strike. There was also a log book at the time kept of those who climbed the hill and wished to sign it for posterity.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.