World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Friedrichstadt (Dresden)

Article Id: WHEBN0020535224
Reproduction Date:

Title: Friedrichstadt (Dresden)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bombing of Dresden in World War II, Die Brücke, Dynamo Dresden, Paula Modersohn-Becker, Friedrichstadt (disambiguation), CarGoTram, Lorenzo Mattielli, Geography and urban development of Dresden
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Friedrichstadt (Dresden)


Friedrichstadt is a neighborhood in central Dresden, Germany. A factory district in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it is known as the home of the founders of the artistic association known as Die Brücke.[1]

History

Once known as Ostra, a Sorbian village going back to the year 1206, it was then turned into a manor farm for the elector's residence in Dresden. Augustus II the Strong of Saxony renamed the area Neustadt in 1730. This Neustadt should not to be confused with the neighborhood in Dresden now known as Neustadt, then called Neue Königstadt. In 1731, the people of Neustadt again renamed their settlement, this time to Friedrichstadt after Augustus the Strong's son, future elector Frederick Augustus II, known in German as Friedrich August II.

After the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, the city declared Friedrichstadt a factory district in 1878. The plight of the factory workers in this area became a common theme in the works of the artists of Die Brücke, who set up a studio in a former cobbler's shop.

A good deal of the Friedrichstadt was destroyed in the bombing on 13–14 February 1945. Many of the neighborhood's attractions have been rebuilt since then.

Today Friedrichstadt is a mixed industrial, commercial, and residential neighborhood with almost 6,000 residents.[2]

Attractions

Yenidze

A former cigarette factory built in 1907, now office building and restaurant/biergarten with an excellent view of the Dresden skyline.[3]


Old Catholic cemetery

The oldest grave is from 1724. Contains notable baroque, roccoco, and neoclassical gravestones. The final resting place of many famous Dresdeners as well as a number of victims of the Nazis.


Palais Brühl-Marcolini and the Fountain of Neptune

Built in 1719 as the summer residence of Ursula Katharina of Altenbockum, this palace, which now houses the Friedrichstadt hospital, contains Chinese and Pompeii-style rooms as well as the neighborhood's most famous fountain, the Fountain of Neptune. Other notable residents included Count Heinrich von Brühl and Count Camillo Marcolini. Napoleon also briefly lived in the palace in 1813.


Notes

External links

  • http://www.dresden-und-sachsen.de/dresden/friedrichstadt.htm "Aus der Geschichte der Friedrichstadt" (in German)
  • http://www.dresden.de/de/02/06/05/01/c_05.php A collection of statistics on Friedrichstadt from the official website of the city of Dresden (in German)

Coordinates: 51°3′33.2″N 13°42′51.57″E / 51.059222°N 13.7143250°E / 51.059222; 13.7143250

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.