World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Randolph (Panama)

Article Id: WHEBN0030473327
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Randolph (Panama)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Panama Canal, 14-inch M1920 railway gun, William F. McKee, United States Army South, Fort Davis, Panama
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Randolph (Panama)

Fort Randolph (Panama) was a Coast Artillery Corps fort built to defend the northern end of the Panama canal in conjunction with Fort Sherman.

History

Fort Randolph was built on Margarita Island which had been connected to the mainland by a railway causway, so that the eastern breakwater of Limon Bay could be built. Like most of the Panama forts, construction began in 1913 and the breakwater was complete in 1916. The fort itself was completed on 9 April 1920 and named after Major General Wallace F. Randolph. After WWI, emplacements were added for the M1920 railway guns. These emplacements were located east of Battery Tidball.

Batteries

The following batteries were built on the fort.

See also

References

  • Military Railroads on the Panama Canal Zone by Charles S. Small, Railroad monographs 1982

External links

  • http://www.czimages.com/CZMemories/Photos/photoof414.htm
  • Map of Fort Randolph [1]
  • , December 1934 pp.844-845Popular Mechanics"Gun Train Guards Ends of Panama Canal -- Rolling Fort Crosses Isthmus in Two Hours" excellent drawings in article on the 14-inch M1920 railway gun
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.