World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Bavaria-Landshut

Bavaria-Landshut
Teilherzogtum Bayern-Landshut
State of the Holy Roman Empire

1353–1503

Banner of Bavaria-Landshut

The larger Duchy of Bavaria-Landshut between 1363 and 1392 (includes Munich and Ingolstadt but not Straubing)
Capital Landshut
Government Monarchy
Duke of Bavaria-Landshut
 -  1347–1375 Stephan II
 -  1375–1392 Johann II, Stephen III, and Friedrich
 -  1392–1393 Friedrich
 -  1393–1450 Heinrich XVI
 -  1450–1479 Louis IX, Duke of Bavaria
 -  1479-1503 Duke Georg of Bavaria
Historical era Middle Ages
 -  Established June 3, 1353
 -  Bavaria-Munich and Bavaria-Ingolstadt split off 1392
 -  Annexed Bavaria-Ingolstadt 1447
 -  Annexed by Bavaria-Munich and Palatinate-Neuburg 1503

Bavaria-Landshut (German: Bayern-Landshut) was a duchy in the Holy Roman Empire from 1353 to 1503.

History

The creation of the duchy was the result of the death of Emperor Louis IV the Bavarian. In the Treaty of Landsberg 1349, which divided up Louis's empire, his sons Stephen, William, and Albert were to receive jointly Lower Bavaria and the Netherlands. Four years later the inheritance was divided again in the Treaty of Regensburg 1353; Stephen received the new duchy of Bavaria-Landshut. In 1363 Stephen became also Duke of Upper Bavaria which was then re-united with Bavaria-Landshut. After Stephen's death his three sons ruled the duchy jointly. But in 1392 Bavaria-Landshut was divided for the three dukes and so Bavaria-Munich and Bavaria-Ingolstadt were split off.

In 1429 parts of Bavaria-Straubing were united with Bavaria-Landshut, same as the complete duchy of Bavaria-Ingolstadt in 1447. Bavaria-Landshut was then the richest part of Bavaria, also due to the mining in Rattenberg and Kitzbühel and the most modern administration. The seat of the dukes was the Trausnitz Castle in Landshut, the second residence was Burghausen Castle.

The duchy lasted overall 150 years until it was divided in 1505 between the newly created duchy of Palatinate-Neuburg and Bavaria-Munich after the Landshut War of Succession. Kufstein and Kitzbühel were ceded to Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor as compensation for his support to Bavaria-Munich and then united with Tyrol.

References

Coordinates: 48°32′N 12°09′E / 48.533°N 12.150°E / 48.533; 12.150

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.