World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Anhalt-Dessau

Principality (Duchy) of Anhalt-Dessau
Fürstentum (Herzogtum) Anhalt-Dessau  (German)

 

1396–1561


1603–1863

 

19th century flag
of Anhalt duchies
19th century arms
of Anhalt duchies

Anhalt duchies, 1847–63:

  • Anhalt-Dessau in red
  • Anhalt-Köthen in blue
  • Anhalt-Bernburg in yellow
Capital Dessau
Government Principality
Historical era Middle Ages
 •  Partitioned from Anhalt-Zerbst 1396
 •  Partitioned to create A-Köthen 1471
 •  Partitioned to create A-Plötzkau and A-Zerbst
1544
 •  Annexed back to A-Zerbst (later: Anhalt)
1561–1603
 •  Raised to duchy 1807
 •  Merged with Anhalt-Köthen 1853
 •  Duchy of Anhalt reunited 1863
Today part of  Germany
Coat of arms of Anhalt-Dessau-Köthen according to Siebmachers Wappenbuch

Anhalt-Dessau was a principality and later a duchy located in Germany. It was created in 1396 following the partition of the Principality of Anhalt-Zerbst. The capital of the state was Dessau. Anhalt-Dessau experienced a number of partitions throughout its existence with Anhalt-Köthen being created in 1471. The principality was partitioned for a second time in 1544 with Anhalt-Zerbst and Anhalt-Plötzkau being created. From 1561 until 1603 Anhalt-Dessau was under the rule of the Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst, and in 1603 Anhalt-Dessau was recreated, being raised to a duchy in 1807.

Anhalt-Köthen became extinct on the death of the Duke of Anhalt-Köthen, 23 November 1847, and its territories were united to Anhalt-Dessau by Patent of 22 May 1853.[1] Following the death of the last Duke of Anhalt-Bernburg on 19 August 1863, all of the Anhalt lands came under the rule of the Duke of Anhalt-Dessau who then took the new title of Duke of Anhalt for the newly created Duchy of Anhalt.[1]

Rulers of Anhalt-Dessau

Princes (1396–1561)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.