46th Engineer Battalion

46th Engineer Battalion

Coat of Arms
Active 1917-present
Country  United States
Branch United States Army Corps of Engineers
Type Combat Engineer
Role Combat Engineer
Size Battalion
Part of 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade
Garrison/HQ Ft. Polk, LA
Nickname Steel Spike
Motto TO ACHIEVE
Insignia
Distinctive Unit Insignia

The 46th Engineer Battalion ("Steel Spike"[1]) is a military engineer unit in the United States Army first formed in 1917.

Mission

On order, the 46th Engineer Battalion deploys to command, to control, and to execute combat and/or general engineering in support of U.S. Army, Joint, and Coalition Forces.

Organization

The Battalion consist of the following units:

  • 178th Vertical Engineer Company
  • 687th Horizontal Engineer Company
  • 22nd Survey Detachment
  • 93rd Vertical Engineer Company
  • 814th Multi-Role Bridge Company
  • FSC
  • HHC

Lineage

Constituted 7 December 1917 in the National Army as the 46th Engineers

Organized March–April 1918 at Camp Sheridan, Alabama

Converted and redesignated 18 September 1918 as the 46th Regiment, Transportation Corps

Regiment broken up 12 November 1918 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:

  • Regimental Headquarters and Headquarters Company disbanded
  • Companies A, B, and C redesignated 12 December 1918 each as the 29th, 30th, and 31st Companies, Transportation Corps, respectively

29th Company, Transportation Corps, demobilized 13 July 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts; 30th and 31st Companies, Transportation Corps, demobilized 2 July and 11 July 1919, respectively, at Camp Gordon, Georgia

Regiment reconstituted 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as the 46th Engineers

Activated 14 July 1941 at Camp Bowie, Texas

Redesignated 18 March 1943 as the 46th Engineer General Service Regiment

Reorganized and redesignated 22 April 1944 as the 46th Engineer Construction Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 15 June 1947 as Headquarters and Headquarters and Service Company, 46th Engineer Construction Battalion (organic elements concurrently absorbed)

Inactivated 15 March 1950 in Japan

Redesignated 22 September 1950 as the 46th Engineer Construction Battalion and activated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma (organic elements concurrently reconstituted and activated)

Reorganized and redesignated 23 November 1953 as the 46th Engineer Battalion

Battalion departs the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) in 1971 and is assigned to Fort Rucker, Alabama. The battalion deploys to Operation Desert Shield in the fall of 1990, serving in Operation Desert Storm and returning to Fort Rucker in May 1991. In late 1993, segments of the battalion deployed to Colombia, South America to participate in the construction of several community and infrastructure projects. Those segments returned to Fort Rucker in early 1994. In mid-1994, the battalion is relocated to Fort Polk, Louisiana due to the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) program and to support the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC). This relocation did not include Bravo Company.

1996: Deployment to Haiti in support of NATO mission under President Bill Clinton.

16 October 1999: Battalion reorganized as a multi-component unit; Company C concurrently inactivated. The 890th Engineer Company (Tennessee Army National Guard) reorganized and redesignated as Company C, 46th Engineer Battalion. This company was also located at Ft. Rucker Alabama. It was deactivated and moved to Ft. Polk La.

October 2005: the battalion was deployed to Iraq. During the one-year deployment, A Company and C Company were based from Al-Taqqadum with elements near Syria and Ramadi. B Company and HHC were primarily operated from Camp Ramadi. Elements of the battalion participated in the Battle of Ramadi (2006) establishing combat outposts (COPs) and patrol bases throughout the city. These operations were often executed under direct fire and/or indirect fire. Four members of the battalion were KIA during the duration of the deployment--two due to mortar attacks and two to improvised explosive devices.

October 2006: the battalion returns to the United States.

February 2010: B Company deactivated while still garrisoned at Fort Rucker, Alabama. The battalion is transformed from legacy to modular battalion on February 16, 2010.

Campaign Participation Credit

World War I

  • Streamer without inscription

World War II

  • East Indies
  • Papua
  • New Guinea
  • Leyte (with arrowhead)
  • Luzon

Vietnam

  • Defense
  • Counteroffensive
  • Counteroffensive, Phase II
  • Counteroffensive Phase III
  • Tet Counteroffensive
  • Counteroffensive Phase IV
  • Counteroffensive Phase V
  • Counteroffensive Phase VI
  • Tet 69/Counteroffensive
  • Summer-Fall 1969
  • Winter-Spring 1970
  • Sanctuary Counteroffensive
  • Counteroffensive Phase VII
  • Consolidation I

Southwest Asia

  • Defense of Saudi Arabia
  • Liberation and Defense of Kuwait
  • Operation Iraqi Freedom

Decorations

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.