World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tuxpan, Nayarit

Article Id: WHEBN0011851844
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tuxpan, Nayarit  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Adán Sánchez, Municipalities of Nayarit, Tuxpan (disambiguation), Area codes in Mexico by code (300-399), Acaponeta, Rosamorada, Ruiz, Nayarit
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tuxpan, Nayarit

Tuxpan, is both a municipality and a municipal seat in the Mexican state of Nayarit. It is located in the west of the state and has boundaries with the municipalities of Rosamorada in the north, Santiago Ixcuintla in the south and west, and Ruiz in the east.

The area of the municipality is 474.3 km² and the population was 28,550 in 2005, which was a drop from the population of 34,079 in 1980. The population of the municipal seat was 22,481 in the same year.

Most of the land is flat and there is intensive agriculture. The main crops are beans, sorghum, tobacco, bananas, and mangoes. The estuary zone in the west is used for production of shrimp.

The municipality is crossed by the Río San Pedro and there is often extensive flooding in the rainy season.

History of Tuxpan Municipality

Tuxpan during prehispanic times was an important place named Ayutuxpan, contributed to the kingdom of Sentispac. At Coamiles were settled the most important ceremonial centres; according to historic Christian Duverger, the ceremonial centre is composed by various structures, today are known 40, they possess more than 150 printings and its infrastructures are stones filled up with sun-dried bricks. It also embraces megalithic composes of big carving blocks, organized horizontally and vertically combined with voluminous rocks.

Main characters

Leaders; Antonio R. Laureles and Prisciliano Góngora, they fought for the land divisions and formations of cooperatives in Tuxpan and the State of Nayarit.

They were murdered in 1922, at the back stalls inside the Government Palace, today known as Casa Fenelón

Historic Facts and Chronology

1530.- Military explorations of conquistador Nuño Beltrán de Guzmán crossed by the zone towards Aztlán. 1607.- Convent of Santa Catalina was built to evangelize natives. 1885.- After Independence Tuxpan become land of Tepic. 1917.- Constituted as a municipality of the Sovereign and Free State of Nayarit. 1919.- Farmers requested cooperative to subdivide farm lands. Also, the biggest cooperative in Mexico.

External links

  • Ayuntamiento de Tuxpan

Coordinates: 21°52′00″N 105°27′00″W / 21.8666666767°N 105.45000001°W / 21.8666666767; -105.45000001


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.