World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Poznań University of Technology


Rector's Office

Poznań University of Technology, PUT (Polish name: Politechnika Poznańska) is a Socrates-Erasmus programme for exchange students from all over Europe, promoting advanced engineering and a European dimension. The university is home to many organisations and student circles, and the radio station Afera 98.6 MHz. The university has over 21,000 students and over 1100 academic staffs.

Contents

  • Faculties 1
  • History 2
  • Successes 3
  • Other information 4
  • External links 5

Faculties

There are ten faculties:

  • Architecture
  • Chemical Technology
  • Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • Computing and Information Science
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Electronics and Telecommunications
  • Engineering Management
  • Machines and Transportation
  • Mechanical Engineering and Management
  • Technical Physics

History

PUT was officially founded in 1955 and the first rector was Roman Kozak. But a state school had existed in Poznań since 1919, under name of the Higher State School of Machinery. After adding a second department in 1929, its name was changed to the Higher State School of Machinery and Electrotechnics. It was supposed to became the University of Technology in 1940, but its development was interrupted by World War II. In 1945 the school received the status of Higher Engineering School and in 1955 it became the University of Technology.

In 1999 Poznan University of Technology (PUT) celebrated 80 anniversary of higher educational technical system in Poznan. It continues traditions of the State Higher School of Mechanical Engineering, which was opened in August 1919. The school remained open at the outbreak of the Second World War, during which time 716 graduates had completed their studies there. It was allocated in a building nowadays situated at M. Skłodowska-Curie Square, today the Rector's Office. In 1929, the school changed its name to the State Higher School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. As a result of further development, the Higher School was to be given the status of a University in 1940. Unfortunately, this did not occur during the war period. In September 1945, the School received the title High School of Engineering and after ten years became Poznan University of Technology.

PUT is at present autonomous state institution consisting of nine faculties in which institutes and chairs over one thousand academic staff members do research and run educational tasks for over fourteen thousand students of full -time and part-time studies. PUT has been granted the right to confer doctorates in technical science. Moreover, it runs postgraduate studies within different faculties.

In 1995 PUT, as the first Polish University of Technology, became a member of the Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research – CESAER-bringing together the best European Engineering Colleges and Universities of Technology. In 1999 PUT was the host organization of the IX CESAER Conference.

In the academic year 1999 / 2000 European Credit Transfer System –ECTS-was introduced at the PUT.

Successes

Students from computer science faculty started few times in CSIDC computer systems projecting world championships organised by IEEE Computer Society and ImagineCup (Microsoft). Four different teams in 2001—2006 managed by Dr of engineering eng. Jan Kniat were three-time world champions and two-time on the dais. Many graduates from Computer science and Management faculty work in Microsoft corporation in Redmond, Washington, US.

Other information

The current rector is Professor Tomasz Łodygowski.

PUT is a member of Jan Węglarz, Roman Słowiński, Jacek Błażewicz are Jerzy Brzeziński are the best-known staff of the Computer Science department.

External links

  • Official site of PUT
  • PUT's Institute of Computer Science
  • PUT's Institute of Management Engineering
  • PUT's Institute of Environmental Engineering
  • Association of Scientific Circles at PUT
  • Scientific Circle of Environmental Engineers


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.